Global Research and Operations Manager Job Description
UPDATE (April 13, 2020): In the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, we believe that helping smallholder farmers ensure their food security and livelihoods is more important than ever. Because PAD's advisory services are digital, we are able to continue and even expand most of our services while our staff work remotely from their homes. We are still actively hiring for the role below, and we encourage qualified applicants to apply.
PAD is a small, but fast-growing global non-profit that uses tech, data science and behavioral economics to provide targeted information to farmers in developing countries. Providing the right information to the right people, in the right way and at the right time, increases incomes, protects the environment and improves well-being. We are evidence-based: we test our interventions with randomized control trials to prove our impact and cost effectiveness, to simultaneously learn from and improve our service, and also to demonstrate our value to funders and partners. There are few programs in international development that are as demonstrably cost-effective as ours. We currently work in seven countries in Africa and Asia, and we are expanding as more governments and organizations look for innovative ways to use new technologies to get information to people across the developing world.
PAD’s Global Research Manager will be responsible to provide ongoing support to PAD’s research operations and management across geographies. In order to facilitate a steady stream of research and programmatic opportunities, the successful applicant will also actively contribute to fundraising, funder reporting, and research dissemination.
The Global Research Manager will work closely with the relevant Program Leads, Director of Research, Country Directors, and Research Affiliates. The position will be located in one of PAD’s program locations or Boston and will require frequent travel. PAD is a start-up organization and will require flexibility from all staff with regards to roles and responsibilities.
Research management and support
- Work with relevant PAD country teams, researchers, and research affiliates to manage the implementation of research projects and ensure that projects adhere to policies, procedures, and timelines.
- Provide guidance and oversight to Research Associates on research activities, including data cleaning, power calculations, and preliminary analysis.
- Apprise PAD researchers, research affiliates, and country leads on the progress of projects on a regular basis.
- Support the project teams in preparing progress reports for funders and partners.
- Take lead on preparing Institutional Review Board applications and modifications with oversight from PAD researchers and research affiliates.
- Support literature reviews and other desk research to inform research activities as well as programmatic functions for PAD.
- Assist with proposal development for prospective funders and partners, alongside other PAD team members.
- Support PAD in developing processes to maintain the integrity and the quality of research
- Stay abreast of the latest research related to mobile phone-based agricultural extension.
- Maintain library of relevant research for all PAD team members.
- Take lead on maintaining PAD’s institutional knowledge base on current landscape of other organizations and companies operating in the mobile phone-based agricultural advisory space.
- Write research summaries and results in various formats, including briefs, website text, presentations, emails, etc.
- Actively contribute to research dissemination and outreach activities.
Support PAD in creating and maintaining institutional knowledge related to its research findings.
- Contribute to general management tasks important for PAD’s functioning and success – including but not limited to budgeting, hiring, and strategic planning – on an as needed basis.
Qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree in economics, agricultural economics, public policy, or a closely related field (we may consider exceptional candidates without a Master’s degree who have extensive experience in experimental research in developing countries)
- Deep understanding of economics, econometrics, and statistics
- Experience with randomized controlled trials
- Experience with statistical software, such as Stata and R
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience with research in developing countries
- Interest in agricultural development and technology for development
- Ability to work independently
- Experience working in a start-up environment desired but not required
- Experience working with an organization across multiple geographies desired but not required
- Experience with Salesforce desired but not required
- Full time
- Start date: ASAP
- Location: One of PAD’s country offices (Kenya, India, Ethiopia)
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience
To apply, please visit the PAD website and use the online application form. The job position will be reviewed on a rolling basis and open until the position is filled.