This position is set as Boston because our HR software requires the choice of a city. We are seeking to fill this position in the US, India or Kenya. Apologies for any resulting confusion.
UPDATE (January 2021): In the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic, we believe that helping smallholder farmers ensure their food security and livelihoods is more important than ever. Because PAD's advisory services are digital, we are able to continue and even expand most of our services while our staff work remotely from their homes. We are actively hiring for the role below, and we encourage qualified applicants to apply.
Precision Development (PxD) is a global non-profit organization that harnesses technology, data science and behavioral economics to empower people living in poverty to improve their lives. By providing actionable information to the right people, in the right way and at the right time, PxD empowers poor people living in developing countries to improve their livelihoods, mitigate risks, and advance environmental sustainability. PxD, through its primary project, Precision Agriculture for Development (PAD), delivers customized agricultural advice to smallholder farmers via their mobile phones. PAD implements this pioneering model of agricultural extension in collaboration with partner organizations to maximize scale, and continuously experiments, iterates, and gathers evidence on impact to improve service delivery and demonstrate value. PAD currently works in nine countries in Africa and Asia, is launching operations in Latin America, and is rapidly expanding as governments and organizations look for innovative ways to utilize new technologies to deliver actionable information to people who need it. As of the end of the third quarter of 2020, PAD was serving 3.6 million farmers through a range of services providing tailored information on crop optimization, pest management, input utilization and environmental stewardship. PxD is piloting the use of mobile technology to deliver information in sectors beyond agriculture, including the use of SMS to facilitate math education in Kenya.
We are looking for a driven, creative, and independent person to join a high-performing flexible team as a General Accounting Manager. This is a mid-level accounting position responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, prepare accurate and timely financial reports and statements, and ensure appropriate accounting control procedures. The position is responsible for supervising general accounting, producing monthly journal entries and reconciliation of assigned asset, liability, expense and revenue accounts.
The General Accounting Manager will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Oversee Global payment and procurement accounting.
- Assist with quarterly financial statements as well as annual audited financial statements and footnotes.
- Assist with annual audit materials preparation to ensure a high quality and well-organized package ready in a timely manner for Director of Finance to review prior to audit.
- Work with external auditors on 990 and MA-PC filings.
- Serve as a back-up to Director of Finance, particularly with respect to revenue recognition.
- Perform a range of mid-level financial statement analyses and account reconciliations.
- Provide direct supervision to two Finance team members, including effective performance management including regular feedback sessions and guidance and support for professional development opportunities as appropriate.
- In collaboration with team and Director of Finance, develop and deliver training to finance staff. Participate in establishing and monitoring of accounting control procedures and ensure compliance with established policy.
- Ensure all financial transactions are completed with high degrees of accuracy, in full compliance with requirements, and within established timelines.
- Prepare required journal entries and account reconciliations, and resolve variances using professional concepts and established policies and procedures.
- Provide support and guidance to PD’s country offices, administrative staff, managers, and others in the use of OUS accounting systems in accordance with policy, procedures and accounting principles.
- Work with external auditors; prepare audit schedules, provide explanations of schedules and related variances if any.
- Ensure monthly close is accomplished as per schedule.
- Work on special projects as assigned.
Expectations for the Position
- Will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect, and will be familiar with and committed to PD’s mission and goals.
- Will have an understanding of gender justice and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender justice and diversity in our workplace and programs.
- Within key areas of responsibility, will have a commitment to providing a safe environment for staff, partners, and beneficiaries, and a commitment to promoting safeguarding in our workplace, programs, and the communities we serve.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent education/experience in US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Five years progressively responsible work experience as an accountant.
- Two years of supervisory experience and ability to mentor and develop staff.
- Ability to analyze financial transactions.
- Significant general ledger journal entry production/account reconciliation experience.
- Experience with computerized accounts payable, payroll software, Excel, Word, and related Microsoft Office Applications.
- Ability to work independently, to work under pressure, prioritize work and to meet deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail, ability to work accurately and to leave accurate audit trails.
- Ability to identify system, process and policy issues and make recommendations for and implement solution(s).
- Excellent communication, time management, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with not-for-profit accounting.
- Experience with Quickbooks
- CPA or MBA
- Full time, Finance Department
- Start date: As soon as possible.
- Location: USA, India or Kenya
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience
To apply, please visit the PAD website and use the online application form. The job position will be reviewed on a rolling basis and open until the position is filled.
PxD is committed to building an inclusive and diverse organisation, and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
We will use any personal data you provide for recruitment purposes only.
No phone calls or recruiters, please.