Kenya Country Director JD
PAD is a small, but fast-growing global non-profit that uses tech, data science and behavioural economics to provide targeted information to farmers in developing countries. Providing the right information to the right people, in the right way and at the right time, increases incomes, protects the environment and improves well-being. We are evidence-based: we test our interventions with randomised control trials to prove our impact and cost effectiveness, to simultaneously learn from and improve our service, and also to demonstrate our value to funders and partners. There are few programmes in international development that are as demonstrably cost-effective as ours. We currently work in eight countries in Africa and Asia, and we are expanding as more governments and organisations look for innovative ways to use new technologies to get information to people across the developing world.
We are looking for a driven, creative and independent person to join a high-performing, flexible team as Kenya Country Director. The Kenya Country Director will oversee operations of the organization in Kenya including: product development, external relations, human resources, marketing, finance and administration, and legal compliance.
Kenyan citizens are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Kenya Country Director will be responsible for the following main tasks:
- Contribute to and execute PAD research and program vision in Kenya;
- Take a lead role on the implementation of new projects and the design of new products in Kenya, with input from the Global team;
- Design and monitor implementation plans and budgets and supervise the implementation of field operations across all projects and scoping studies in Kenya;
- Support the development and utilization of appropriate monitoring and evaluation and program management tools and systems;
- Hire, train, and supervise local staff and take responsibility of local office and physical infrastructure;
- Work with local legal counsel to ensure compliance with Kenyan law and to develop and implement local policies and guidelines;
- Build and manage relationships with Kenyan partners to facilitate the development of PAD services, including: technology providers, agribusinesses, government, development organizations, non‐profits, other service providers, and implementation partners;
- Support policy dissemination and partnership development in other countries in Africa;
- Assist PAD in fundraising and donor management efforts;
- Take a proactive role in developing and building the mid and long term financial sustainability of PAD Kenya;
- Liaise between PAD Global and Kenya‐based team to ensure compliance with PAD policies and to support reporting to PAD internal and external stakeholders (research, program implementation, financial, other); and
- Complete any other work determined by PAD CEO and/or Africa Regional Director as necessary to successfully grow and manage PAD Kenya.
Qualifications and experience
- 7+ years of experience in developing country contexts including 3-4 years in a management position;
- Master’s degree in international affairs, international public policy, development economics, agricultural economics, or field related to international economic development;
- Experience leading large programs, including managing relationships with governments and multiple stakeholders;
- Experience in developing research projects, experience with budgeting and project planning;
- Leadership and organizational skills, and experience to make things happen through complex bureaucracy;
- Communication and writing skills;
- Experience with managing donors and large grants;
- Commitment to leading a diverse team in a multicultural environment and building staff capacity;
- Ability to work under tight timelines, and flexibility to engage in multiple projects;
- Ability to travel within Kenya and internationally;
- Experience living and working in Africa;
- Knowledge of, or familiarity with, randomized controlled trials and experimental research.
- Position details
- Full time
- Start date: March 2020
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience
To apply, please visit the PAD website and use the online application form. The job position will be reviewed on a rolling basis and open until the position is filled.