Research and Operations Manager JD (India)
PAD is a rapidly scaling global non-profit that harnesses the power of technology, data science and behavioral economics to provide targeted information to farmers in developing countries. Providing the right information to the right people, in the right way and at the right time, increases incomes, protects the environment and improves well-being. We are evidence-based: we test our interventions with randomised controlled trials to prove our impact and cost effectiveness, to simultaneously learn from and improve our service, and to demonstrate our value to funders and partners. There are few programmes in international development that are as demonstrably cost effective as ours. We currently work in seven countries in Africa and Asia, and are expanding as more governments and organisations look for innovative ways to use new technologies to empower people across the developing world.
We are looking for a driven, creative and independent person to join a high-performing flexible team. As Research and Operations Manager, you will support research, operations, and the scaling of operations in India by leading activities in collaboration with state governments, private/social enterprises, researchers and other key partner organizations. You will work closely with relevant Program Leads, PAD's Chief Economist and Director of Research, Research Affiliates, and the India Deputy Country Director. You will work in a non-hierarchical team and be immersed in a start-up culture. Your work will give you opportunities to travel. You will have the freedom to try new ideas and will see your work pay off quickly, with a real impact on how much, and how quickly, we can reach more of the world's poorest people and help them to transform their lives.
Candidates must have Indian work authorization.
The Research and Operations Manager will be responsible for the following main tasks:
- Supervise the implementation of one or more programs, including the development of work plans, tracking progress, designing and launching new services to farmers, implementing M&E activities and improvements to existing systems, managing focus group discussions and other data collection activities, and writing reports.
- Support the expansion of existing programs and the realization of new opportunities, including design and execution of scoping activities and proposal development.
- Supervise from start to finish the implementation of research projects in collaboration with our partners, including the development of research design and proposals, managing data collection and overseeing data cleaning.
- Work with relevant researchers and research affiliates to ensure that projects adhere to policies, procedures, and timelines.
- Work closely with PAD researchers and our partner organizations to identify, develop, and launch new research projects.
- Directly supervise project staff (Research Associates, Project Associates, Field Staff, Interns), and lead training and onboarding of new/incoming project staff.
- Keep track of project budgets and the financial health of individual projects and collaborate with the finance team to provide inputs for accurate budgeting, and cash flow calculations.
- Contribute to general management tasks important for the organization's functioning and success including but not limited to budgeting, hiring, and strategic planning.
- Assist in managing partner relations and working with external stakeholders for implementation of field operations.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master's degree in economics, public policy/administration or a related field. Rigorous coursework in economics is highly preferable.
- At least four years of experience in a multi-faceted role dealing with multiple projects and stakeholders; two years of managerial experience preferred.
- Self-starter, ability to handle multiple projects/tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills in English, with attention to detail and advanced writing and presentation skills.
- Technical understanding of economics and randomized evaluations.
- Willingness to travel to project sites in India.
- Proficiency in using Stata is required, Python, R, or other data analysis software a plus.
- Experience managing partnerships with government entities, donors, and NGOs.
- Full time.
- Start date:
- Location: Bhubaneswar, Odisha, Ludhiana, Punjab, Kolkata, West Bengal or Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Compensation: commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit the PAD website and use the online application form. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.